Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Lymphedema Physical Therapy

Had my first day of physical therapy for the lymphedema.  The fluid has been slowly building up in my arm.  There has been a tightness and pain, along with limited mobility in my left arm for awhile.  There has not been any visible swelling though.  Since I really have not been in any position the past few months to use my are at normal capacity I was not aware of what was really going on.

The therapist explained that the tightness and pain was fluid built up in the chords.  So he basically is cracking or popping (that is what feels/sounds like) the fluid out of the chords.  He uses pressure and stretching to do this.  It isn't very pleasant, but it is making my arm feel better.  Next, he shows me some exercises I need to start doing to help keep the fluid flowing in my arm.  I need to do these exercises everyday.  He also said I need to not "baby" my arm and start doing regular activities.  That sounds like a green light to me... now what shall I do first.  (Although, my reconstruction surgeon still has me on some restrictions.)

Short, quick visit.  I am coming back in two days for more "cracking".  Woo hoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment