Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Mummy wrap

Today in physical therapy, I learned how to compression wrap my arm.  Being at stage one lymphedema, the goal is to stay at this stage.  Stage one means that my arm and hand swells up when I use  the arm, but with the use of compression therapy (sleeves, gauntlet, and wrapping) the swelling goes down.  Stage 2 means that the swelling does not go away, this I do not want.  So, I will be wrapping my arm each night that I have a busy activity day (surfing, softball, golf, etc. - basically everyday for me).

It starts with layer 1, Tricofix, a lightweight absorbent stockinette.  It is 100% cotton, highly absorbent and non-irritative for comfort.

Mummy Layer 1
Layer two consists of wrapping the fingers (boxer style) with Transelast Classic Bandages, a gauze bandage for compression wrapping.

Mummy Layer 2
Mummy Layer 2 Complete
 Layer three uses Artiflex, a multi-purpose padding.  It is to ensure even distribution of pressure in multilayered bandaging for lymphedema.

Mummy Layer 3
Mummy Layer 3 Complete
Layer four is Rosidal K bandage.  It is a little different than an ACE wrap.  This bandage is 100% cotton and is specifically designed to provide both compression and resistance to stretch which in turn helps the lymphatic system move fluid out of the swollen limb.

Mummy Layer 4
Mummy Layer 4 Complete
 Layer 5 is a second, slightly larger Rosidal K bandage.

Mummy Layer 5
Mummy Layer 5 Complete
It takes about 30 minutes to wrap my arm completely.  More Good Times!!  There is a chance that over time the lymphatic system in my arm will adapt to all my activities and be able to drain on its own.  But, until then I will have to do the wrapping and wear the sleeves and gauntlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment