Thursday, April 25, 2013

Learning to Breathe

Today at Physical Therapy I was informed I need to learn to breathe correctly again.  Apparently, I have not been breathing the right way.  I have been using my upper body muscles and not my diaphragm and stomach muscles.  I guess I had not realized the change.  I had a lot of difficulty breathing after the mastectomy last year and perhaps to compensate I stopped breathing correctly.  My therapist says that I am taking short little breaths.  This tells her that I am using my pectoral and neck muscles and not my diaphragm to breathe.

My "homework" for the week is to lie on my back while I practice breathing from my gut and do a series of left arm exercises.  We are working on my left pectoral muscles which feel very strange and out of place.  It is hard to describe, I can feel them much more prominently than the right side muscles.  It is very bizarre.  There are moments that I feel like I have to shift them back into place.  Very strange feeling to have.

On a positive note, I did my second pool workout this morning.  Albeit, it is a far cry from what my workouts used to be, it was still very nice to be in the water again.  I missed being in the water the most these past ten months.  Having the water flow over my body as I glided underwater down the pool was a wonderful familiar feeling - with a little weirdness.  The area around my implant and my pectoral muscle felt strange.  Almost as if I could feel the liquid in the implant move along with the water of the pool that flowed over it.  Crazy.  It was a very slow workout that consisted mostly of kicking with a few laps of breast stroke in between.  I did try to do some crawl, but I have very little arm rotation in my left arm (about 40%).  And, my pectoral muscle feels very weird when I tried to do even my little crawl stroke.  So much to get used to again.  I did manage to do 2300 yards, which I am sure my therapist and doctors will think is too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment