Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Drug Trial Round 2

Today was the second day of the drug trial procedure.  There is a bit of anxiety in the air after last time. Four injections in the thigh, not a day in the park.  So, again Ativan to the rescue.

As per usual, stopped by the vampire to drop off some blood and a urine sample.  Then, a quick check up with the oncologist.  He is still mystified by the roaming rash.  We discussed again when it flares up and where.  Not much he can do on his end, perhaps a short course of steroids in a couple of weeks if needed.  Otherwise have to wait to see the dermatologist. (in March)

Then, it was upstairs to the research nurse.  There we started with my new friend, Lidocaine cream.  This will hopefully numb the areas where the injections will take place.  Keeping fingers crossed.  It takes about an hour for the cream to do its magic.  So we watch lame daytime tv to kill the time.

Lidocaine cream soaking into my leg
Now, the moment of truth... injection time.  South Paw in hand.  Ready.

First injection goes into the top of my thigh.  And, I barely felt it.  Nice.  Number two goes in the side of my thigh, just down from the first.  Felt a little prick, but again hardly felt anything.  Whew.  Two down, two to go.  So far, this is going well.  Number three, your turn.  Three goes below the first one on the top side of my thigh.  Three did not go nicely.  There is some pain this time, I'd say about a 4.5 on the pain scale.  Blah!!  Okay, after a minute or so to recover, it is time for number four.  Grrrr... try to think happy thoughts...  Four goes in the side of the thigh, just down from number three.  Big squeeze on South Paw.  In goes four and not nicely!!  Four is mean and pain flows the entire time.  It gets an 8 on the pain scale.  BLAH!!  Not happy with number four.

But, we are done for today.  On the bright side, two out of four with no pain is better than last time around.  Next time will be better, right?  The nurse said we can let the Lidocaine soak in a little longer before starting injections.  Here's hoping that works.

South Paw Squeeze during injections

South Paw double checking the bandages.
Now, the nurse needs to monitor me for an hour to make sure I don't have any reactions to the drugs.  I'm pretty looped from the Ativan by now so the tv is playing, but I'm not paying attention.  The social worker checks in on me to see if I need anything.  I can barely string a simple thought together.  We chat for awhile, but I don't remember much of the conversation.

After the hour, the nurse checks my vitals and the injection sites.  All good, so I am free to go.  Yay!

Off to get today's treat:
Pastrami Ruben on Rye

1 comment: