Thursday, January 17, 2013

Stupid Hives

After a little over a week of the hives starting to subside, yesterday they came back with a vengence.  I have no idea what was different about yesterday, but I broke out all over - arms, shoulders, back of legs.  It started after I had lunch (fish tacos).  Argh!!

Today, I had my weekly expansion appointment.  The doctor obviously noticed the out break of hives, they are very noticable today.  We go ahead and do the expansion.  (Again, I am doped up on Ativan so things go smoothly.)  Then, she asked if I wanted to see my oncologist to see if he could figure out why the hives came back.  I figured since I was there anyway, why not.  The nurse calls over to his office and they set me up.  I walk across the street to his office.

The oncologist and nurses are perplexed by the hives.  We discuss the last couple of days to see if anything different has come up.  I have not changed my soaps, lotions, detergents so I'm thinking it is something that I ate.  I cannot think of anything else that I might have come in contact with.  They suggest some topical ointments to see if that will help.  The drug trial will not allow me to take oral steroids so close to my treatment (next week).  The nurse is going to look into getting me an appointment with an allergist to see if we can get to the bottom of this.  The doctor said that during chemotherapy I was giving high doses of steroids to help with the side effects, so whatever I might be allergic to could go back to when I started treatment.  It is hard to say at this point.  So here's hoping the referral to an allergist comes soon.


Arm hives still going strong this evening.  BLAH!

This week's treat to battle the frustration of hives and another expansion:
Boston Creme Cupcake

No comments:

Post a Comment