Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Lymphedema PT

Back at the Physical Therapist building for the Lymphedema starting to show in my arm.  Their goal is to get me to the point where I can comfortably do my life activities again.  As many of them as possible.

We discussed the activities I was starting up again and when I noticed swelling, how long it stayed.  At this point, doing household chores - washing dishes, laundry, cooking, etc. it begins to swell, mostly in my hand and wrist.  I'm still at a stage one swelling which is good, this means it can be managed and hopefully kept under control.  I told her I started hitting golf balls and was hoping to get in the pool again next week.  Swimming is actually good for lymphedema, the water acts as a natural compression "sleeve" for the body.  We discussed the intensity of my old work outs in the pool and that eventually I would be able to do again, I just have to take it real slow.  REAL SLOW.  She would like me to do arm workouts at 10 minutes on, 7-10 minutes rest, and I can do 3 cycles of this.  I can do as much legs as I want though.  So I have a game plan.  I am happy.  Basically, my lymphedema needs to gradually get used to the arm activities it used to be able to handle.

The therapist measured my arms to determine the amount of swelling compared to my "normal" arm.  She then needs to submit for the next sessions where she will show me how to do compression wraps on my arm for after activities, perhaps even during if needed.

I do need to wear a compression sleeve and gauntlet everyday no matter what activity I do.  I can take it of to sleep (or swim).
All the latest rage in arm wear :)

No comments:

Post a Comment