Friday, October 19, 2012

Weekly Visit - blah

Paid my weekly visit to the vampire today - blah.  Apparently I am a bit dehydrated.  Vampire Paul #2 (there are two vampires in the lab named Paul :-), we joked that everyone that works there has to be a version of Paul; Paulo, Paula, Pauline...)  Anyway, he stuck me in the usual spot - inside the elbow, which is still slightly bruised from last week's visit.  And, nothing came out!  Guess they have been taking too much blood ;-).  It is very freaky to see the needle stuck in and no blood flow.  So, he had to use another vein further down my arm to take my blood.  That one hurt - blood came out though.  Now I'll have two vampire bite bruises this week.  Blah.  I'll need to make sure I drink plenty of fluids this week so my veins are ready for next week's round of chemo.

This is my second week after my latest round and still feeling blah.  It seems that it is taking longer to recover this time.  I guess by the third time you strip down your body's immune system to basically zero, the body just doesn't bounce back as easily.  The initial harsh side effects were better managed this time, but the other side effects are lasting longer.  I have very little appetite.  There is this horrible metallic taste that is constantly in my mouth.  It makes it hard to want to put anything in there.  And, when I do it tastes like metal.  The nurse did say I can have ice cream and milk shakes to help pump in some calories.  Yay!!  Two of my favorite things.  But, I cannot have too much because my liver is working over time this round so I have to limit my fat intake.  Really, there is no winning with this crap!!  And, since my liver is over worked I have very low energy.  Again, not winning.  My sleeping is all messed up, I find I have to take naps which means I wake up in the middle of the night for hours before falling back to sleep.  It's all so crazy.  My legs still feel very weak and wobbly.  The nurse is going to see if the doctor thinks that in my next round of chemo another dose of steroids might help.

Feeling so blah and the realization that it all starts again next week just sucks.

A bright spot in all this crap is getting some quality family time for our annual get together in Carlsbad. Lounging around, playing games (Soxzee and mini-dolphin golfin), laughing at stupid stuff - normal activities.  Downside is they all get to hangout in the pool and hot tub all afternoon and I have to be in the shade covered up - blah.  Still, it was good to get out of my house that I've been confined to for the past three and a half months and enjoy a change of scenery.  My family is very supportive and we have a good time together.  My dad and bro even shaved their heads, so I wasn't the only bald one at the table.

Carlsbad Robot Marble Puzzleman
One more week before my next (and final) round of chemo.  Hope to get some strength back beforehand.  Plus, I am tired of feeling BLAH!


No comments:

Post a Comment