Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Good-bye Hal, Part Deux

A little morning surf;
A little work;
A little happy hour;
Sure beats being in a hospital bed in unimaginable pain barely able to breathe.
Good-bye Hal - the anniversary!!

One year ago today, Hal was expelled from my body.  Although my journey is not quite over, I still cannot believe all that has happened thus far.  It has been a crazy journey filled with many challenges.  My body and mind were tested everyday.  I am so happy to have made it to this milestone in my journey.

I started off today on the water surfing.  It was my first day back in the line-up and it felt good.  I missed the zen of the waves rolling under my board.  My session was cut short by the lymphedema in my arm.  About thirty minutes into it, my arm started to get that feeling; the one that lets me know that the fluid is starting to build up.  If you have ever sprained your ankle and you feel the area swelling, well it is kind of like that with a bit more intensity.  This time it ran from my shoulder blade area all the way down to my hand.  So, I had to get out of the water sooner than I wanted.  I was bummed because I was having such a good time, but I realized that is was only the first of many more days on the water to come and it was best to be safe than sorry.  I cleaned up and then wore my sleeve and gauntlet for the rest of the day and it kept the lymphedema in check.

After a little time at work, off to happy hour with some friends to toast the one year anniversary of Hal's vanquishing.  One thing I have come to learn this past year is that every day is a small victory and should be celebrated in some way.  I am again reminded how wonderful a support group I have that helps me get through each day.
V for Victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment