Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Oh What a Feeling

My fellow athletes will understand this one.  In tonight's softball game I made one awesome play.  The kind of play that creates this oh so special euphoria which is the reason why we continue to play our sports.  I was playing my position, second base.  It was the first inning, the bases were loaded (guys and girls), and there was one out.  A guy is up to bat, he takes a swing, ball is coming toward me - line drive.  It looks as if it might go over my head and that is what everyone is thinking.  I reach up, time my jump perfectly, and snatch the ball out of the air.  I turn around and fire the ball towards second base to double up the runner (who had no idea what happened, he was on third by then) to end the inning.  This is the kind of play that athletes live for.  I could not get the smile off my face the rest of the night.

This is a feeling that I was not sure I would ever feel again because of all I have been through this year. I was not sure I would be able to play at a level where I could feel this way again.  This was very significant for me.  It made me forget for a brief second that I am a cancer patient.  I was just me playing a game that I love to play and being successful.  Can't ask for anything more.

No comments:

Post a Comment