Saturday, August 10, 2013

Just a little bump

I have had the green light to get back to my old life, albeit at a slow pace for the past couple of months.  I am very cautious and have been taking my time.  I realize that every time I set foot on the field, on the court, or in the water I am putting myself at risk.  This is a risk that I choose to take.  I for one am not the type to sit around and wish I could be out doing all the activities I love to do.  I am the one that works toward being the active person I once was.

I knew this day would come eventually.  The activities that I do are not considered "contact" sports, but there is always some type of incidental contact.  I do my best to play conservatively and avoid contact at all possible cost.  But, the universe will eventually place a hit that is just a little bit more than desired. Today I felt it.  A hit to my arm by someone trying to set a pick on me during a basketball game.  It was enough to let me know that this was a hit that was going to have consequences.  I knew it immediately. I am very aware of the feeling my arm gets when the lymphedema is acting up.  I was having that feeling now.

My hand had already been showing some signs of fluid build up this week.  Now it was my whole arm.  Blah!!  Back to compression wrapping and compression garments.  Hopefully it will be managed quickly and all will be good again.

No comments:

Post a Comment