Thursday, August 22, 2013

Yay, physical therapy

Finally, a physical therapy appointment.  The cogs in the machine move slow between offices, referrals,  paperwork, phone calls.  It felt like forever (really about a week and a half).  The therapist starts off taking measurements of my arms.  A pointless activity she says since my good arm is so well developed (I still have some muscles) that even when my weak arm is swollen it is not as big as my good arm.  Luckily, we are both observant and can actually see the swelling in my arm and hand (mostly the hand).  Next she starts doing some lymphatic massage to get the fluid moving towards other lymph node groups.  She does this for about thirty minutes.  Then she compression wraps my hand and arm.  After she wraps my fingers with the gauze, she places a piece of foam on my hand for added pressure and then continues with the other layers of wrapping.  She tells me next time she will add even more layers to the wrap.  I need to wrap everyday to get the fluid out of my arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment