Saturday, July 21, 2012

Almost Human


Each day I start to feel a little more human again.  The pain has subsided substantially the last few days.  I find myself awake for longer stretches of time.  The walk down the block is easier, still slow, but easier. My breathing is back to normal.  The hump of swelling under my arm is really the only indication that there is something off with my body, besides the missing left breast.

After being home for a week, spending most of my time sleeping, I finally felt the urge to get out of the house for something other than a doctor appointment.  This morning we took a little adventure out to the farmer’s market.  Just a little over a mile and half down the street from my house.  The healthy me would normally just walk to that part of town.  Today’s me, took the bus.  It was a short, quick ride.  It being early Saturday morning, the bus was pretty empty.  This is good, since I am still leery about being around lots of people for fear of being bumped into.  The farmer’s market was also not very crowded which was nice.  It was a nice cool, partly sunny, comfortable morning to be walking around.  After slowly meandering around for about an hour or so, sampling fruits and making a few purchases we headed back home via bus.

The whole outing was about an hour and a half, which then resulted in a two-hour nap.

All-in-all, it felt good to be out and about.  Might even venture down the street for pizza tonight!

2 comments:

  1. Im so glad you are getting around a little! It must be completely surreal to be missing a breast. I hope the emotional trauma is less than the physical pain. Sending super healing thoughts your way. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my dear friend. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers and know that each day that you give your all you'll find yourself getting stronger physically and mentally. You're doing an INCREDIBLE job thus far and showing tremendous progress. Keep patience near and look forward to each new day.

    ReplyDelete