Thursday, July 26, 2012

Good bye, stitches


Time again for my weekly visit to the doctor, this time they will be taking out the stitches from my surgery.  I also wanted more insight into the elephant that is sitting on my chest.  I explained to my doctor that I felt the swelling was getting worse, not better.  Even lying back to take the stitches out was very uncomfortable and difficult to breathe.

Dr.: “ Are you lying on that side of your body when you sleep?”

Me:  “Nope, I have been sleeping in an upright position since the surgery.  I cannot even lie down on my back, let alone my side, my chest area is so tight.”

It was fun watching my doctor ponder this.  She examined the areas again.  Basically what it comes down to is this, because I am quite physically fit and have strong upper body muscles (thank you swimming and surfing) the expander they placed under my pectoral muscle is causing that muscle to spasm.  So the solution for now is to put me on some muscle relaxers to relieve a little pain and help me get sleep.  Sleep is key to recovery so I am game.  I haven’t had a good night sleep in a few nights.  She also wants me to take ibuprofen to help with the muscle swelling.  For the side swelling, possible fluid build up from the surgery, she has me wearing either a compression bra or sports bra to help the fluids reabsorb into my body.  That sounds just so pleasant.

There is good news, I do get to do lower body exercises!  So if I want I can do leg workouts in the pool, either walking or jogging, even a little kicking.  I just cannot do any upper body work (no strenuous activity) for at least three more weeks.  Which is understandable since there is so much swelling and discomfort.

Yay for the little things!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl, keep up the good work throughout the recovery. You're strong-willed enough to get through it. And hopefully, at the same time, chill enough to allow yourself to sleep and heal. Thanks for the courage to share this with all of us. xo

    ReplyDelete