Monday, July 9, 2012

Twas the night before surgery...


It’s been a crazy day of last minute preparations.  Had my pre-op appointment this morning.  Once again inundated with tons of information on things to do and not do before surgery.  I still don’t understand why I can’t have any water before surgery.  Oh well, just going with it.  I also got some information on what to expect if surgery all goes well.  Let’s see, with the Tissue Expander Breast Reconstruction there will be some chest wall discomfort, swelling and bruising which may take up to two weeks to fully recover from.  Then, when that is healed they will start the tissue expansions, which will go as long as needed.  Basically, if I have a higher tolerance for pain they will be able to fill up the expander quicker.  Now doesn’t that sound fun.     

Oh, and then there is the drain that will be coming out of my chest to expel fluids from surgery.  That gets to stay in for about a week.  It looks like a grenade at the end of a long tube (about 3ft.)  Yep, it just seems to be getting better and better.

Activity wise, I get to take short walks for the first week I am home.  That is a complete change of pace for me. Plus, the definition of “short” walk was not really addressed.  But, the hill I live by is off limits.  I cannot push or pull with my arms for two weeks and need to avoid lifting more than 8 lbs (a gallon of milk is 8 lbs).  It’s gonna be a long two weeks.  Looking for couch buddies to entertain me. 

With all this information the only thing really missing is the emotional, mental part, other than everyone telling me everything is going to be fine and just stay positive.  That is easier said then done.  Tomorrow I will be losing a part of my body.  Um, still haven’t wrapped my head around that one.  Have you really thought about it, losing a part of your body.  Think real hard.  Imagine what it would feel like when you are in the shower and going over the area where it once was.  Image lying in bed on the area where it once was.  Today I did one last swim workout at the pool and I was doing just that.  Thinking about how my stroke would feel different or how the water would feel against my body as I glide through the water.  It is a bit overwhelming.  And then there is the whole aspect of the surgery.  This is a totally new experience for me, I have no idea what is going to happen.  Everyone keeps telling me I’ll be getting some good meds for the pain.  Um, just what kind of pain should I be expecting?  How much pain is there going to be? Are we talking about broken bone pain?  Dislocated finger pain?  Dental implant pain?  What’s the scale here?  Those I’m familiar with, so when you tell me there is pain what are we really talking about?

Yeah, it still sucks!!!

Lastly, thank you to all the messages I have received today.  I appreciate all the support from everyone and I’m sorry if I did not get responses out to all of you.  It’s been a crazy day.

1 comment:

  1. Couch buddy checking in and ready to report for duty.

    ReplyDelete