Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Recon Part 1

Bright and early check in at the hospital - 6:15am arrival, blah.  Did not get much sleep last night, so I am very tired.  It takes about an hour to check in, then up to the third floor where the nurse takes me to get ready.

About 7:30am, the anesthesiologist comes and sets up the IV.  He first gives me a small shot to numb the area.  Small shot, still has big ouch!  Then he places the IV, which I'm not sure why I got the numbing shot because it hurt a bunch.  And, South Paw wasn't in the room with me this time.  Boo!!  Next, the doctor comes in to confirm the procedure.  He marks the left side of my chest with a purple marker, "Yes."  And we are ready to go.

At 8:15am they wheel me into the operating room.  The nurse introduces me to the rest of the staff in the room.  There is a large table on one side stacked high with implants of all sizes.  They have me move from the gurney to the operating table and hook me up to a bunch of monitors.  And, then I am out.

At 10am, I am back in the post-op room and they are waking me up.  I am in a bunch of pain so the nurse starts giving me morphine in my IV.  My left arm is aching a bunch.  My mom puts on my compression sleeve and gauntlet.  My mouth is super dry.  I am very tired still, so I fall back asleep.  The nurse wakes me up every ten minutes to check my pain level.  It is still at a 10 so she gives me some more morphine.  By the time they are ready to move me, she has given me all the allotted morphine and I'm still in a bunch of pain.  Blah!!

At 11:30am they move me to the recovery room for observation.  It is a very crowded ward and noisy, not much privacy at all.  There is lots of pain still.  I am super thirsty.  They give me water and ice chips.  The water makes me nauseous so I move to the ice chips.  I am super tired still, so I fall asleep again.

About 1pm, I have had enough of the ward and I want to go home.  The ward is very noisy, I cannot rest comfortably.  And someone keeps knocking into my bed.  I buzz the nurse to see what I have to do to go home.  They take me to the bathroom first.  The walk there is dizzying and nauseating.  I get back to my bed and try to eat a little.  Apple sauce, saltines, and water go in and after a couple of minutes comes out.  Argh!!  I am very miserable and just want to go home.

At 2:30pm they discharge me and I'm on my way home.  Yay!!  Home safe, and it is quiet!!  Sleep time.

The operating staff took a picture of the expander that was in my chest.  This was filled with 550ml of saline.  It is not very flexible.
Expander 
The silicone implant they put in.
Implant

No comments:

Post a Comment