Friday, August 24, 2012

And, it begins


First day up and running.  We are at the Samuel Oschin Cancer Center on the Cedars Sinai campus (two levels below the street).  I start at the vampire station.  He took 4 tubes of blood.  Then, over to the waiting room for a bit (we were a tad early).  A little anxious about what comes next.  Have a support team keeping me occupied with funny conversation.  Especially about the restaurant like pager they gave me to wait with.  Apparently, I should ask for a table by the window, order a shrimp cocktail, and a filet Chicago style (mooing and walking to my plate – hahaha).  Love my friends and family.  Pager goes off.  It’s time!!

Off to the infusion room where a cobra is waiting to stick an IV in my arm to add in the poisons.  He is a pleasant cobra, very kind and chatting, keeping me preoccupied while he does his work.  He gave me an Ativan before we start to help me relax.  A lovely tranquilizer that is making me sleepy.  Yay, for Ativan!!  Next, he hooks me up to “Ethel”, my new friend at the center.  She is the one who is actually dispensing the wonderful fluids to get me better.  She follows me around everywhere I go.  They start out with fluids and three little bags of various drugs.  Then, comes the hard stuff - the actual chemo fluids.

                                                ETHEL MY HOSPITAL FRIEND
                                       She has a rather wide wheel base for support.
                          A bit clunky to move around, especially when I need to go to bathroom.
But, she is very supportive, holding me up so I don't fall while on the Ativan which makes me dizzy.

I am very comfortable, I have a small little cubbie hole of my own.  I can either chill in the hospital bed or sit in a lounge chair.  I opted for hospital bed.  I have a little menu of food choices, nothing fancy, it is hospital food after all.  But, it is nice to have a little something available to snack on.  I brought my chemo buddies along for comfort; Southpaw, Shadow, and Lil Rey.  I get free wi-fi access so I can peruse the computer for shows to watch.  Awesome!!! This should help the four hours fly by.

                                           Shadow, Southpaw, and Lil Rey

The staff has been wonderful.  I have spoken with the cobra (nurse), the Social Worker, and a Nutritionist so far this morning.  That has helped time pass by too.  Lots more information spinning around in my head.  All good, but lots.  And, having the Ativan is really making it hard to concentrate.  Luckily, most of what they said is written down for me on printouts.  Cause I really don't think I'm gonna remember much of what they said.

                                             Chillin' with Buddies

So far, so good!!


No comments:

Post a Comment