Thursday, August 16, 2012

Second time around


Today I did my second expansion appointment.  Still not a pleasant idea of sticking a syringe into my surgical area, but it must be done.  The area of course has some points that are numb and others that are quite sensitive.  The port on the expander isn’t always in the same place because the expander does have a little movement within the cavity it sits in my chest.  Um, a little freaky.  They use a magnetic device to find the port in the expander.  This time the port was in a little more sensitive area so I could feel the syringe going in.  Yep, not pleasant at all.  A nice sharp prick to start off the process.  Then, there is the weird sensation of feeling the expander fill up slowly.  Last week, for the initial fill I could barely feel anything.  They only put a minimal amount in.  This time, I could feel the expander against my muscles and it slowly pushing on them, from the inside out.  Yes, very weird!!  The doctor slowly fills until I say I have had enough, which for me is when I feel my muscle getting tight.  After I have her stop, I can feel a weird muscle spasming in the surgical area.  It is only a short twitching feeling that comes and goes.  It doesn't hurt, it just feels weird.  

It is nice that this process is totally dictated by me.  I am in no hurry to push my body any more than it needs right now.  Especially with what is looming just around the corner.  Since I will be starting my chemotherapy treatments next Friday, the doctor suggested that we should not do another expansion next Thursday.  This way my body won't be in discomfort for my first session.  A small little bright spot for the future.  I'm game for skipping a week of expansion.

No comments:

Post a Comment